Information on Travelling to Lapland

We understand that international travel has been complicated in recent years. On this page, we aim to bring you the most up-to-date information and point you to the authoritative sources so that you can best prepare for an enjoyable break.

The information we provide will be from confirmed, authoritative sources and we advise travellers not to make arrangements based on unconfirmed accounts, social media groups, or speculative news sources.

Please understand that travel restrictions and requirements may change quickly without warning, so it is important to keep up-to-date and double check rules close to your departure date. It is a traveller’s responsibility to ensure they meet the immigration rules for the country which they are travelling to, so please ensure you have checked the requirements, and if you are unsure, please contact us so we can point you in the right direction.  

Last updated: 10 August 2022


1. Government Travel Advice

We closely follow the advice on international travel given by the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office. If FCO advice prevents the holiday from taking place, then we will make contact with you. The Foreign Office Travel Advice webpage for Finland can be found here

Entering Finland is at the discretion of the Finnish Border Guard, ‘Raja’. Their website, which lists the entrance requirements, can be found here. The Raja website gives contact details if you have any questions. We have found it best to telephone rather than email. The telephone service is available in English.


2. Entering Finland

Restrictions which were in place to prevent the spread of Covid have now been removed. It is no longer necessary to show a vaccine certificate or recent test result. 


3. Returning to the UK

Restrictions which were in place to prevent the spread of Covid have now been removed. It is no longer necessary to complete a passenger locator form, a test result, or vaccine certificate. 

4. Passport Requirements

Since the UK has left the EU, you will need a valid passport to enter Finland, and a government-issued ID card will no longer be accepted. Your passport must have at least 3 months validity from the date on which you intend to return to the UK and be less than 10 years old. We would especially like to draw attention to these requirements for those who were given ‘bonus’ or ‘rollover months’ when their passport was issued; those months may not count towards the minimum period needed (this will be visible if the total duration of validity on the passport is greater than ten years in total). If you are unsure as to the validity of your passport, please use the UK government’s passport checker, which can be found here


5. Frequently Asked Questions

Will my insurance cover me for Coronavirus interruption?

If the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice is not to travel to Finland, then you would not need to pursue an insurance claim: we would refund you directly or via your travel agent. However, we strongly recommend that you take adequate travel insurance to cover your individual requirements. If you or one of your party were to fall ill and were unable to travel, for example, then you would need to take up the claim with your insurance provider. Similarly, if you were to fall ill whilst on holiday, you would need to pursue an insurance claim. You should still ensure you have adequate winter ski and sports cover which includes snowmobiling and husky sledding. For further information on our insurance policy, please visit

Will we have to wear masks on the aircraft?

At present, it is not mandatory to wear face masks on the aircraft. We will advise if this changes. 

Can I cancel my holiday?

If you would like to cancel your travel arrangements, then this should be done in writing via email, or through your travel agent depending on how you booked. Please note that unless your holiday is cancelled by us because of the government travel restrictions, the standard cancellations terms would apply.  

Can I change the name on my booking?

It is possible to do a name change through our reservations centre, or via your travel agent. An administration fee may apply, with the amount depending on your travel agent. 

I want to book airport car parking – which terminal am I flying from?

Airline carriers will be confirmed in the autumn, and we will advise Gatwick and Manchester terminals at that time.  

Where can I check up-to-date advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and what is the current advice?

Up-to-date travel advice can be found at:

We are monitoring this advice and will update this page accordingly.